Friday, December 30, 2011

New Years Resolutions

Hello my friends and fellow Elk Camp lovers and Elk Camp wannabes. It's been a long time since we last got together and I think it's high time we had a little chat. Heck, its been so long I can't seem to figure out just how I want to approach this here letter. I'm not sure if I need to apologize fer not gettin' on here more often and sharin' whats on my mind, or if I should just come right out and start emptyin' my brain of all the stuff I've stored up since we last chatted. I do have a lot to say, really, I've just kinda been storing it up for a while.

So, what about these resolutions, anyway? I know for certain that I've had many resolutions in the past that I simply could not or would not keep or live up to. You know the ones I'm talkin' about, don't you? Things like; I'm going to lose weight this year, and I'm going exercise every day this year. The list really goes on and on, and I'm gonna spare you the pain of reading through the list of stuff that you and I have simply failed to do.

Yep, this year I'm gonna write down some resolutions that I'm pretty darn sure I can handle. That way I won't have to be feelin' bad when my expectations are bigger than my executions. So here's my list, and in no particular order of importance either, cause I'm bound to forget somethin' important to begin with and then I'd have to start all over you know. So, again, in no particular order of importance, my list of doable resolutions.

1) I resolve to put more miles in on unpaved surfaces than I did in the past year. This ought to be easy, cause I didn't spend near enough time huntin' last year.

2) I resolve to wear more camo, denim and flannel. Thank you Santa for providing me with more camo, denim and flannel to wear.

3) I resolve to attend at least one Sportsmen's Show this year. I always do this, so this should be a piece of cake.

4) I resolve to watch more huntin' shows on my HD 1080P 57" rear projection behemoth of a television set. See I finally figured out this DVR thing, and I can record this stuff to my heart's content. See I live in this here rainy, wet Willamette Valley, and I gotta have somethin' to do when I can't get out in the woods.

5) I resolve to drool over pictures of humongous Bull Elk in my Bugle magazines. Excuse me while I get a handkerchief.

6) I resolve to take my Motorcycle fishing. She has a little trouble casting, but she's got plenty of power to pull in a biggun'. Really, doesn't this sound fun? Pack up the Travel Bags and a tent and fishin' gear and hit the highway in search of a place to drown a worm or two? Yeah, I'm gonna do this!!

7) I resolve to daydream about Elk Camp. This I can do, over and over and over and over, well you get the picture. Man I sure do, I can picture this stand of tamarack and there's this...........

8) I resolve to write at least one blog entry each and every month of 2012. Now this one may be a bit of a chunk to bite off, but it simply needs to be done. There are people out there that are waiting, eagerly I tell ya, to read this stuff, honest!

Now for some stuff a little more on the serious side, not that I'm not serious about the first eight entries, but this other stuff is bigger.

9) I resolve to wake up each day and be thankful for what God has provided me with in terms of opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors.

10) I resolve to strive to be a better husband, father, friend, and professional. Every year should be an opportunity to grow in every aspect of my life.

11) I resolve to get myself in better shape. I know, this is the one resolution that so many many of us tend to falter under, but I need to do this. I'm not gettin' any younger, and i want to be able to enjoy getting out and about, so there you have it, in better shape I will get!!

And finally, here's the biggie, at least if you are an Elk Hunter.

12) I resolve to be in Elk Camp. Now normally, this would seem to be a pretty easy one, but it has now been two years since I've been in Elk Camp. Two years in which I've questioned my decision to not be there. Two years in which I've spent a lot of time wishing I'd seen Brad and Deb get their Elk. Two years that have seemed like Ten. Two years of knowing that those two Elk seasons can't be brought back. Two years of missing seeing my best friends being in their happy place. I know that I had good reasons both years, and that the things I was doing were important, but there's just too much to be missed this coming Fall, I just know it, and that's why I resolve to be in Elk Camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment